- D. Pissuwan, Y. Kumagai and N. Smith, "Effect of surface-modified gold
nanorods on inflammatory cytokine response in macrophage cells", Part.
Part. Syst. Charact. (2013), in press
- N. Pavillon, K. Bando, K. Fujita and N. I. Smith, "Feature-based
recognition of Surface-enhanced Raman spectra for biological targets",
J. Biophotonics (2012), in press
- Y. Kumamoto, A. Taguchi, N.I. Smith, and S. Kawata,
"Deep ultraviolet resonant Raman imaging of a cell,"
J. Biomed. Opt. 17(7), pp.
- M. Okada, N. I. Smith, A. F. Palonpon, H. Endo, S. Kawata, M. Sodeoka,
K. Fujita, "Label-free Raman observation of cytochrome c dynamics
during apoptosis," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
USA, Vol.109, No.1, pp. 28-32 (2012)
- J. Ando, K. Fujita, N. I. Smith and S. Kawata, "Dynamic SERS imaging
of cellular transport pathways with endocytosed gold nanoparticles,"
Nano Letters, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp 5344-5348 (2011)
- Y. Kumamoto, A. Taguchi, N.I. Smith, and S. Kawata, "Deep UV resonant Raman
spectroscopy for photodamage characterization in cells," Biomed. Opt.
Express, 2, 927-936
- M. Yamanaka, Y-. K. Tzeng, S. Kawano, N. I. Smith, S. Kawata, H-. C.
Chang, and K. Fujita, "SAX microscopy with fluorescent nanodiamond
probes for high-resolution fluorescence imaging," Biomed. Opt.
Express, Vol. 2, Issue 7, pp. 1946-1954 (2011)
- M. Honda, Y. Saito, N. I. Smith, K. Fujita, and S. Kawata, "Nanoscale
heating of laser irradiated single gold nanoparticles in liquid," Opt.
Express, Vol. 19, Issue 13, pp. 12375-12383 (2011)
- S. Kawano, N. I. Smith, M. Yamanaka, S. Kawata and K. Fujita,
"Determination of the expanded optical transfer function in saturated
excitation imaging and high harmonic demodulation," Appl. Phys.
Express, Vol.4, 042401 (2011)
- R. J. Milewski, Y. Kumagai, K. Fujita, D.M. Standley,and N.I. Smith "Automated processing of label-free Raman microscope images of
macrophage cells with standardized regression for high-throughput analysis"
Immunome Research 2010, 6:11doi:10.1186/1745-7580-6-11
- M.-L. Zheng, K. Fujita, W.-Q. Chen, N.I. Smith, X.-M. Duan, and S. Kawata "Comparison of Staining Selectivity for Subcellular Structures by Carbazole-
Based Cyanine Probes in Nonlinear Optical Microscopy" ChemBioChem 2010, 11, 1 - 4
- N.I. Smith "A light to move the heart" Nature Photonics, Vol 4, September 2010,
- K. Fujita, S. Ishitobi, K. Hamada, N. I. Smith, A. Taguchi, Y. Inouye, and S. Kawata, "Time-resolved observation of surface-enhanced Raman scattering from gold nanoparticles during transport through a living cell," J. Biomed. Opt. Vol. 14, 024038 (2009).
- J. Ando, N. I. Smith, K. Fujita, and S. Kawata, " Photogeneration of membrane potential hyperpolarization and depolarization in non-excitable cells," European Biophysics Journal European Biophysics Journal, 38, 255-262 (2009).
- K. Fujita and N. I. Smith, "Label-free molecular imaging of living cells," Molecules and Cells, 26,. 530-535 (2008)
- J. Ando, G. Bautista, N. Smith, K. Fujita, and V. Daria, "Optical trapping and surgery of living yeast cells using a single laser," Review of Scientific Instruments 79, 103705 (2008).
- M. Yamanaka, S. Kawano, K. Fujita, N. I. Smith, and S. Kawata, "Beyond the diffraction limit biological imaging by saturated excitation (SAX) microscopy," Journal of Biomedical Optics. 13, 050507 (2008).
- H. Niioka, N. I. Smith, K. Fujita, Y. Inouye, and S. Kawata, "Femtosecond laser nano-ablation in fixed and non-fixed cultured cells", Optics Express, 16, 14476-14495 (2008)
- N. I. Smith, Y. Kumamoto, S. Iwanaga, J. Ando, K. Fujita, and S. Kawata, "A femtosecond laser pacemaker for heart muscle cells," Optics Express, 16, 8604-8616, (2008)- Also selected for Virtual Journal of Biomedical Optics. (Vol. 3, Iss. 7)
- K. Hamada, K. Fujita, N. Smith, M. Kobayashi, Y. Inouye, and S. Kawata, "Raman microscopy for dynamic molecular imaging of living cells," Journal of Biomedical Optics, 13, 044027 (2008).
- Y. Saito, M. Kobayashi, D. Hiraga, K. Fujita, S. Kawano, N. Smith, Y. Inouye, and S. Kawata, "Z-polarization sensitive detection in micro Raman spectroscopy by radially polarized incident light," Journal of Raman Spectroscopy 39,1643 - 1648 (2008).
- S. Iwanaga, N.I. Smith, K. Fujita, S. Kawata, "Slow Ca2+ wave stimulation using low repetition rate femtosecond pulsed irradiation", Optics Express, 14, 717-725, (2006).
- Also selected for Virtual Journal of Biomedical Optics. (Vol. 1, Iss. 2)
- S. Iwanaga, T. Kaneko, K. Fujita, N.I. Smith, O. Nakamura, T. Takamatsu, and S. Kawata, "Location-dependent Photogeneration of calcium waves in HeLa cells," Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, 45, 167-176 (2006)
- N. I. Smith, S. Iwanaga, T. Beppu, K. Fujita, O. Nakamura, and S. Kawata, "Photostimulation of two types of Ca2+ waves in rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells by ultrashort pulsed near-infrared laser irradiation," Laser Physics Letters, 3, 154-161 (2006).
- S. Iwanaga, N.I. Smith, K. Fujita, S. Kawata, and O. Nakamura, "Single pulse cell stimulation with a near-infrared picosecond laser", Appl. Phys. Lett., 87, 243901 (2005).
- M. R. Arnison, K. G. Larkin, C. J. R. Sheppard, N. I. Smith, and C. J. Cogswell, "Linear phase imaging using differential interference contrast microscopy", Journal of Microscopy., 214, 7-12 (2004).
- P. A. Robinson, I. H. Cairns, and N. I. Smith, "Unified Theory of Monochromatic and Broadband Modulational and Decay Instabilities of Langmuir Waves", Physics of Plasmas , 9, 4149-4159, (2002).
- N. Smith, K. Fujita, T. Kaneko, K. Kato, O. Nakamura, T. Takamatsu, and S. Kawata, "Generation of calcium waves in living cells by pulsed laser-induced photodisruption," Appl. Phys. Lett., 79, 8, 1208-1210 (2001).
- N. Smith, K. Fujita, O. Nakamura, and S. Kawata, "Subsurface microprocessing of collagen in 3D by ultrashort laser pulses," Appl. Phys. Lett., 78, 999-1001 (2001).
- M. R. Arnison, C. J. Cogswell, N. I. Smith, P. W. Fekete, and K. G. Larkin, "Using the Hilbert transform for 3D visualization of differential interference contrast microscope images", Journal of Microscopy, 199, 79-84, (2000).
- I. H. Cairns, P. A. Robinson, and N. I. Smith, "Arguments against modulational instabilities of Langmuir waves in Earth's foreshock", Journal of Geophysical Research, 103 (A1), 287-299, (1998).
- C. J. Cogswell, N. I. Smith, K. G. Larkin, and P. Hariharan, "DIC microscopy made quantitative using a geometric phase shifter", Cell Vision (Now Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology), 4, 243-244, (1997)
- Y. Kumamoto, N.I. Smith, K. Fujita, J. Ando, S. Kawata, "Optical techniques for future pacemaker technology"
Book chapter in press (Intech publishing)
- N. I. Smith, S. Kawano, M. Yamanaka, and K. Fujita, "Nonlinear fluorescence imaging by saturated excitation" in Nanoscopy Multidimensional Optical Fluorescence Microscopy, pp. 2-1 ~ 2-16 (A. Diaspro Ed., Chapman and Hall/CRC press, April 2010).
- N. Smith, S. Iwanaga, H. Niioka, K. Fujita, and S. Kawata, "Subcellular effects of femtosecond laser irradiation" in Nano Biophotonics - (H. Masuhara, S. Kawata, and F. Tokunaga, Ed. Elsevier B.V., Amsterdam, 2007)
- S. Kawata, O. Nakamura, T. Kaneko, M. Hashimoto, K. Goto, N.I. Smith, T. Sugiura, I. Fujimasa, and H. Matsumoto, "Biological Imaging and Sensing from Basic Techniques to Clinical Application" in Biological Imaging and Sensing - (T Furukawa Ed. Springer, 2004)
- K. Fujita, N. Smith, and O. Nakamura, "Nonlinear optical imaging and stimulation of living cells," in Nanophotonics -Intengrating photochemistry, Optics and Nano/Bio Materials Studies - (H. Masuhara and S. Kawata Ed. Elsevier B.V., Amsterdam, 2004).