Biochemistry & Immunology
Shigekazu Nagata Professor
|1972||Undergraduate Student Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo|
|1977||Graduate Student Department of Chemistry, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo|
Research and career history
|1977||Research Associate Department of Chemistry, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo|
|1977||Post-Doctral Fellow Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Zurich|
|1982||Assistant Professor at the Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo|
|1987||Head, Department of Molecular Biology, Osaka Bioscience Institute|
|1995||Professor, Department of Genetics, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University|
|2002||Professor, Integrated Biology Laboratories, Graduate School of Frontier Bioscience, Osaka University|
|2007||Professor, Department of Medical Chemistry, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University|
|2015||Professor, Immunology Frontier Research Center (IFRec), Osaka University|
|1994.11||Emil Adolf von Behring Prize (Philipps-Universitat Marburg, Germany)|
|1995.10||Robert Koch Award (Koch Foundation, Germany)|
|1996.11||Boehring-Kitasato Prize (Tokyo)|
|1997.1||Le Prix Antoine Lacassagne (French Cancer League, France)|
|1998.1||Asahi Prize (Tokyo)|
|1998.2||Takmatsu Cancer Award (Tokyo)|
|2000.6||Japan Academy Prize, Imperial Prize (Japan)|
|2001.11||Person of Cultural Merits (Japan)|
|2004.6||International Cell Death Society Prize (Maynooth, Ireland)|
|2011.1||The member of The Japan Academy (Japan)|
|2012.4||Honorary Doctorate (Univ. of Zurich, Switzerland)|
|2012.9||Yoshida Prize (Japanese Cancer Association, Japan)|
|2012.12||Debrecen Award (Debrecen University, Hungary)|
|2013.6||Kyoto University Shi-Shi Award (Kyoto University, Japan)|
|2013.11||Keio Medical Science Prize (Keio Univ./Japan)|
|2015.4||Foreign Associate of National Academy of Sciences, USA|
|2022.11||Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold and Silver Star|
- Shigekazu Nagata Professor
- Takaharu Sakuragi Assistant Professor
- Katsumori Segawa Guest Professor
- Jun Suzuki Guest Professor
- Nagata S, Taira H, Hall A, Johnsrud L, Streuli M, Ecsodi J, Boll W, Cantell K and Weissmann C (1980) Synthesis in E. coli of a polypeptide with human leukocyte interferon activity. Nature 284: 316-320.
- Nagata S, Mantei N and Weissmann C (1980) The structure of one of the eight or more distinct chromosomal genes for human interferon-. Nature 287: 401-408.
- Streuli M, Nagata S and Weissmann C (1980) At least three human type a interferons: structure of 2. Science 209: 1343-1347.
- Taniguchi T, Mantei N, Schwarzstein M, Nagata S, Muramatsu M and Weissmann C (1980) Human leukocyte and fibroblast interferons are structurally related. Nature 285: 547-549.
- Nagata S, Tsuchiya M, Asano S, Kaziro Y, Yamazaki T, Yamamoto O, Hirata Y, Kubota N, Oheda M, Nomura H and Ono M (1986) Molecular cloning and expression of cDNA for human granuloctye colony-stimulating factor. Nature 319: 415-418.
- Fukunaga R, Ishizaka-Ikeda E, Seto Y and Nagata S (1990) Expression cloning of a receptor for murine granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. Cell 61: 341-350.
- Itoh N, Yonehara S, Ishii A, Yonehara M, Mizushima S, Sameshima M, Hase A, Seto Y and Nagata S (1991) The polypeptide encoded by the cDNA for human cell surface antigen Fas can mediate apoptosis. Cell 66: 233-243.
- Watanabe-Fukunaga R, Brannan CI, Copeland NG, Jenkins NA and Nagata S (1992) Lymphoproliferation disorder in mice explained by defects in Fas antigen that mediates apoptosis. Nature 356: 314-317.
- Fukunaga R, Ishizaka-Ikeda E and Nagata S (1993) Growth and differentiation signals mediated by two distinct regions in the cytoplasmic domain of G-CSF receptor. Cell 74: 1079-1087.
- Ogasawara J, Watanabe-Fukunaga R, Adachi M, Matsuzawa A, Kasugai T, Kitamura Y, Itoh N, Suda T and Nagata S (1993) Lethal effect of the anti-Fas antibody in mice. Nature 364: 806-809.
- Suda T, Takahashi T, Golstein P and Nagata S (1993) Molecular cloning and expression of the Fas ligand: a novel member of the tumor necrosis factor family. Cell 75: 1169-1178.
- Kägi D, Vignaux F, Ledermann B, Burki K, Depraetere V, Nagata S, Hengartner H and Golstein P (1994) Fas and perforin pathway as major mechanisms of T cell-mediated cytotoxicity. Science 265: 528-530.
- Takahashi T, Tanaka M, Brannan CI, Jenkins NA, Copeland NG, Suda T and Nagata S (1994) Generalized lymphoproliferative disease in mice, caused by a point mutation in the Fas ligand. Cell 76: 969-976.
- Enari M, Hug H and Nagata S (1995) Involvement of an ICE-like protease in Fas-mediated apoptosis. Nature 375: 78-81.
- Enari M, Talanian RV, Wong WW and Nagata S (1996) Sequential activation of ICE-like and CPP32-like proteases during Fas-mediated apoptosis. Nature 380: 723-726.
- Tanaka M, Suda T, Haze K, Nakamura N, Sato K, Kimura F, Motoyoshi K, Mizuki M, Tagawa S, Ohga S, Hatake K, Drummond A and Nagata S (1996) Fas ligand in human serum. Nat. Med. 2: 317-322.
- Kondo T, Suda T, Fukuyama H, Adachi M and Nagata S (1997) Essential roles of the Fas ligand in the development of hepatitis. Nat. Med. 3: 409-413.
- Enari M, Sakahira H, Yokoyama H, Okawa K, Iwamatsu A and Nagata S (1998) A caspase-activated DNase that degrades DNA during apoptosis and its inhibitor ICAD. Nature 391: 43-50.
- Sakahira H, Enari M and Nagata S (1998) Cleavage of CAD inhibitor in CAD activation and DNA degradation during apoptosis. Nature 391: 96-99.
- Tanaka M, Itai T, Adachi M and Nagata S (1998) Down-regulation of Fas ligand by shedding. Nat. Med. 4: 31-36.
- Kawane K, Fukuyama H, Kondoh G, Takeda J, Ohsawa Y, Uchiyama Y and Nagata S (2001) Requirement of DNase II for definitive erythropoiesis in the mouse fetal liver. Science 292: 1546-1549.
- Hanayama R, Tanaka M, Miwa K, Shinohara A, Iwamatsu A and Nagata S (2002) Identification of a factor that links apoptotic cells to phagocytes. Nature 417: 182-187.
- Kawane K, Fukuyama H, Yoshida H, Nagase H, Ohsawa Y, Uchiyama Y, Iida T, Okada K and Nagata S (2003) Impaired thymic development in mouse embryos deficient in apoptotic DNA degradation. Nat. Immunol 4: 138-144.
- Nishimoto S, Kawane K, Watanabe-Fukunaga R, Fukuyama H, Ohsawa Y, Uchiyama Y, Hashida N, Ohguro N, Tano Y, Morimoto T, Fukuda Y, and Nagata S (2003). Nuclear cataract caused by a lack of DNA degradation in the mouse eye lens. Nature 424: 1071-1074.
- Hanayama R, Tanaka M, Miyasaka K, Aozasa K, Koike M, Uchiyama Y, and Nagata S (2004). Autoimmune disease and impaired uptake of apoptotic cells in MFG-E8-deficient mice. Science 304: 1147-1150.
Yoshida H, Okabe Y, Kawane K, Fukuyama H, and Nagata S (2005). Lethal anemia caused by interferon- produced in mouse embryos carrying undigested DNA. Nat. Immunol 6: 49-56
- Yoshida H, Kawane K, Koike M, Mori Y, Uchiyama Y, and Nagata S (2005). Phosphatidylserine- dependent engulfment by macrophages of nuclei from erythroid precursor cells. Nature 437: 754-758.
- Kawane K, Ohtani M, Miwa K, Kizawa T, Kanbara Y, Yoshioka Y, Yoshikawa H and Nagata S (2006) Chronic polyarthritis caused by mammalian DNA that escapes from degradation in macrophages. Nature 443: 998-1002.
- Miyanishi, M., Tada, K., Koike, M., Uchiyama, Y., Kitamura, T., and Nagata, S. (2007) Identification of Tim-4 as a phosphatidylserine receptor. Nature 450: 435-439.
- Okabe, Y., Sano, T. and Nagata, S. (2009) Regulation of the innate immune response by threonine phosphatase of Eyes absent. Nature 460: 520-524
- Suzuki, J., Umeda, M., Sims JP. and Nagata, S. (2010) Calcium-dependent phospholipid scrambling by TMEM16F. Nature 468: 834-838.
- Suzuki, J., Denning, DP., Imanishi, E., Horvitz, HR. and Nagata, S. (2013) Xk-related protein 8 and CED-8 promote phosphatidylserine exposure in apoptotic cells. Science 341: 403-406.
- Segawa, K., Kurata, S., Yanagihashi, Y., Brummelkamp, T., Matsuda, F., and Nagata, S. (2014) Caspase-mediated cleavage of phospholipid flippase for apoptotic phosphatidylserine exposure. Science 344, 1164-1168
Nagata S and Golstein P (1995) The Fas death factor. Science 267: 1449-1456.
Nagata S (1997) Apoptosis by death factor. (Review) Cell 88: 355-365.
Nagata S (1999). Fas ligand-induced apoptosis. Annu Rev Genetics 33: 29-55.
Nagata S (2005). DNA degradation in development and programmed cell death. Annu Rev Immunol 23: 853-875.
Nagata, S., Hanayama, R. and Kawane, K. (2010) Autoimmunity and the Clearance of Dead Cells. Cell 140: 619-630.