Semaphorins are originally identified as axonal guidance factors in the developing nervous system in 1990s. Cumulative evidence suggests that semaphorins also play important roles in the other systems, including organogenesis, vascularization, angiogenesis and the progression of cancers. In 2000, our research groups have identified a class IV semaphorin, CD100/Sema4D, as an immune-regulatory molecule expressed on immune cells. To date, it becomes clear that some other semaphorins (Sema3A, Sema4A, Sema4B, Sema4G, Sema4F, Sema6A, Sema6B, Sema6D, Sema7A) are also expressed in the immune system and play non-redundant roles in immune responses. These semaphorins are now called as ‘immune semaphorins’ (Fig.1). Immune semaphorins are involved in various phases of immune responses including activation phase, differentiation phase and effecter phase (Fig.2). We work on the molecular mechanisms underlying regulation of immune responses by immune semaphorins.
Atsushi Kumanogoh Professor
|1991||Graduate from Medical School of Osaka University|
Research and career history
|1991||Kusumoto Prize, Osaka University|
|2005||The 1st JSPS Prize|
|2005||The 8th JSI Award|
|2010||The 28th Osaka Science Prize|
|2011||Prize for Science and Technology by MEXT|
|2012||The 1st Osaka University Presidential Awards for Achievement and Presidential Awards for Encouragement|
|2012||Mochida Memorial Academic Award|
|2015||Elected Membership, American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)|
- Atsushi Kumanogoh Professor
- Yoshihiro Oka Professor
- Masashi Narazaki Professor
- Satoshi Nojima Associate Professor
- Yoshito Takeda Associate Professor
- Tatsusada Okuno Associate Professor
- Schulz E et al. Nature Commun. 5:5191. 2014.
- Kumanogoh A and Kikutani H. Nature Rev Immunol. 13:802-14. 2013.
- Nojima S et al. Nature Commun. 4:1406. 2013.
- Hayashi T et al. Nature 485:69-74, 2012.
- Nogi T et al. Nature 467:1123-7, 2010.
- Takamatsu et al. Nature Immunology 11, 594-600, 2010.
- Suzuki et al. Nature Immunology 9, 17-23, 2008.
- Suzuki K, Kumanogoh A (*corresponding author) et al. Nature 446, 680-684, 2007.
- Takegahara, N, Kumanogoh A (*corresponding author) et al. Nat Cell Biol. 8, 615-622, 2006.
- Kumanogoh A. et al. Immunity 22, 305-16, 2005.
- Kikutani H. and Kumanogoh A. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 3, 159-167, 2003.
- Kumanogoh A. et al. Nature 419, 629-633, 2002.